Did you know that lack of adequate sleep can prevent weight loss? That’s because too little sleep can increase cortisol levels. Too much cortisol keeps your system hyper vigilant. Think caveman days. You need to stay alert because a lion is running after you. Because you may need to hide from the lion, you need to preserve your body fat to live. That’s a function of cortisol that humans no longer require. It’s he 21st century — there is no lion. We need adequate sleep. Here are a few tips for good sleep.
- Drink at least half your weight in ounces of water. For example, if you weigh 100 pounds, drink 50 ounces of water daily.
- Cut down on your alcohol intake.
- Do not drink caffeine-containing beverages or eat dark chocolate after 3 pm, particularly if you’re a slow metabolizer. A genetic test can determine this.
- Try camomile tea about an hour before bed. Use 2-3 tea bags per cup.
- Take a bath with Epsom salts about an hour before bed. Sip your tea while bathing.
- Mix and drink a powdered magnesium beverage with water just prior to bed. This will also help your bowels.
- Turn off all electronics (television, radio, computer, MP3 players, cell phones) at least 2 hours before bed.
- Charge your cell phone in a different room. Use a real alarm clock, instead of your cell phone.